Signed original graphic works
In Melbourne Victoria St with the corner of Russell St crossroads, stands a monument “” eight hours, granite on the base of the monument engraved with inscriptions:” Victoria was launched in 1856 eight hours movement, was established in 1903 “, conical monument of stone body at the top of the badge with circular golden ball, “labor, entertainment, Rest Rest, Labour & amp; “Recreation” and the number “888”, symbolizing “eight hours of work, eight hours of Recreation and eight hours of rest”.
The monument was designed to commemorate the eight-hour working day that began on April 21, 1856.
On April 21, 1856, the stonemasons who built the university of Melbourne in the Victorian era held a carefully organized and planned event. These workers in Melbourne marched to the Capitol, they demanded the right to work 8 hours a day, participated in the activities of people carrying banners, marked with the symbol of the eight, three are intertwined with the three number “888” on behalf of the workers’ ideal, strive for “eight hours work, eight hours of entertainment, 8 hours of rest”, after a few weeks, Melbourne has been approved, eight hours working day in working days of eight hours a day, Melbourne workers has become the world’s first reached 48 hours working week of the workers, the utopian socialist Robert Owen’s ideal, practice in Melbourne.
The monument was originally built on Spring Street in 1903 because it was too close to the Capitol, perhaps in violation, and in 1924 it was moved to its current location on the corner of Victoria St and Russell St.